Vegans have a rough time with desserts. Eggs, milk, and butter dominate the course and prevent indulgence. But there are still options for those avoiding animal products, such as screwball cake. This chocolate confection earns its name by lacking the three above ingredients, making it a bit “screwy.” Delicious plain or with berries, this cake is easy and rewarding.
-1 1/2 cup flour
-1/3 cup cocoa
-1 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 teaspoon vinegar
-1 cup cold water OR cold coffee
1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. In an 8×8 glass pan, sift together the dry ingredients.
3. Make three holes in the mixture using a spoon.
4. Add wet ingredients to the holes: oil in one hole, vanilla in another, and vinegar in the last one. The holes may overflow, don’t worry.
5. Pour the water or coffee on top of everything.
6. Mix together until combined (try to make it as smooth as possible, but a few small lumps are OK).
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
After it’s cooled, you can frost it, if so desired. The cake will keep for a week and remain moist if covered well. For a 9×13 pan, double the recipe.
For best results, prepare using Jokari Measuring Spoons!